Scott

Ralph - The ear seals are inside the "hood", so even when they are not
being used (i.e., clicked outward) there are no gaps and everything is still
sealed. But -- as you mention -- I have seen two other people (and me)
mention the ear protectors being slightly too low to fit perfectly. All
depends on your head size I suppose. I plan to try a small piece of 1/2"
foam padding in the helmet, as I think that will raise it such that the ear
protectors are then centered on my ears.

....Scott

"Ralph J. Ramirez" wrote in message
One thought on the Triton Powered Respirator. It appeared to me that you
have to have the ear protectors always attached when using the

respirator,
flipped up or down, but if in the up position up you would have 2 gaps

that
would expose you to sawdust/chips. They may have corrected this. Also I
have heard of problems getting the ear protectors to fit properly, one
person I know doesn't bother to wear the air protectors because of
discomfort. It is nice that they upgraded to a softer more flexible air
hose. Scott is very happy with his Triton so I hope I haven't muddied the
water. I use the Airmate 3 but it is quite pricey........Ralph

"Scott" wrote in message
Would you mind sharing your experiences with the current crop of air
helmets?

Terry

I received a Triton Powered Respirator for Christmas. It works quite

well.
It incorporates a helmet, shield, and ear protectors. There is a

washable
pre-filter on the bottom for large particles, plus two disposable

cartridge
filters inside to get the smaller stuff. There is a good review he

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...respirator.htm

I wore it for 2-3 hours yesterday while finish turning / sanding a bowl.
When I took it off, the bottom pre-filter was literally "caked" with

about
1/16" of dust. Scary to think that all of that has been going into my
lungs.

Unlike some of the competing units that just seal around your face, the
Triton covers your entire head so you don't get sawdust in your hair

(which
later gets on your pillow, then in your nose). This could get a

little
stuffy/hot in hot weather, but I turn in my basement where it is always
pretty cool.

I have two minor complaints so far.....

(1) The ear protectors adjust up/down, but don't go quite high enough

for
my ears. Even in their highest position, they are still about 1/2" too

low
to properly fit over the top of my ear. They still work, but put a

little
downward pressure on the tops of my ears. Of course I only use them

when
I'm sanding, to suppress the noise of the drill and dust collector. The
rest of the time they "pop" outward, away from your head.

(2) Mine was purchased via Amazon in mid-December, but came with the
old-design hose which is very stiff and uses friction fit connections

with
spring clamps. It is akward to connect/disconnect, and the stiff hose

has
tendency to push upward on the back of the helmet, rotating it forward

over
your face. Not the fault of Triton; they changed the design in

September,
but I apparently got "old stock" from Amazon.

Relative to complaint #2, I called Triton's customer service and they

are
sending out a retrofit kit at no charge -- so I should have the newer,

more
flexible hose and quick-connect fittings sometime next week. Good

customer
service & support.

...Scott