Mike

In article .com,
Matt wrote:

Similar story here that I fixed this week, actually very close to the
OP's problem.

Except my situation had 3 single pole circuits, (2) 3 way circuits, and
another 3 way circuit with (2) 4 ways in it.

My house was built in 1980 though, so I had the advantage of color
coded wires as well as 12/3 cables so that I could make out what most
likely went where. A previous HO had screwed it all up almost beyond
recognition.

I had to sketch out the 4 way circuit a few times before I finally
figured out the only possible way it could work.

Mike - wish I could help ya more, but given the age of your house, it's
unlikely that your wires are colored so that you can at least get some
indication of how things should be.

In your situation, the first thing I would do is identify the hot
leads, then the load leads, and finally the travellers.

Again, made even harder because your neutrals are probaly the same
color as your hots and travellers.

I agree with the other posters.... if you aren't experienced with the
use of a volt/ohm meter and the wiring of multi switch circuits, call a
pro.

But there was one thing that caught my eye in your post - you say the
lower floor landing light only works if the coat closet light is set to
"off".. which I interpret as that switch being in the down position.
Take a closer look at that switch - is it labeled "on" and "off"? I'm
betting it's not, which probably means that the switch for the closet
light (sounds like it should be a single pole) was replaced with the
wrong type of switch at some point (3 way), and some other
misadventures apparently also occured in that box as well.
Would probably be the first place I'd start looking.

+-+-+

Hello Matt and Christopher,

Thank you both. I really had no illusions of being able to toss a
screwdriver onto the coffee table and say, ³No problem, Dear. That was
easy. Now, about Lisa's calculus homeworkŠ²

And yes, I believe I'll do just that - call a pro.

Thanks again,

Mike