jakdedert

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
news:EDLAd.618890$%k.17674@pd7tw2no...

Fred wrote:

Thanks for the good words, Jim! It's just a hobby camera and so I'm not

in
a hurry to get if fixed or dish out a couple hundred $$. More fun for

me to
diagnose it and hopefully fix the blasted thing .... and pass along what

find out.

After a few plugging/unplugging, turns out there's no oxide build up on

the
AC receptacle. Dang it, that would've been too much to ask!

Hi again...

Quickly added... for safety sake.

If you DO decide to do the spray cleaner suggestion,
then wear glasses while you do it. You'll
be puffing your shot of cleaner against a very very
small enclosure, and the risk of it blowing back against
your eyes is great.

Particularly holding the camera up so as to spray upward
into the jack.

Be cautious. Your eyes are worth much more than any
camera!

I'd be a good deal more concerned about the camera itself, than my eyes.
Really, we've been spraying contact cleaner and other aerosols for years.
Surely we can do it safely.

OTOH, there are gears and optics inside there. Get some of that stuff on
there, and results are unpredictable at best.

I'd take the damn thing apart...damn the torpedoes. Use a maginfier light,
work slowly, carefully. Take pictures (with another camera of
course...maybe video) of the disassembly. Digicams are difficult, but not
impossible, to successfully R&R.

If I can do my Coolpix--much smaller, I believe than the Oly--he should be
able to dismantle enough to protect the rest of the camera from overspray
when cleaning the power jack.

Still, just cycling the power connector in and out may be all it needs.....

jak
Ken