Jerry G.

Stay with the main brand names. You will not go wrong with Sony, Panasonic,
and Hitachi. Most all of them come with a standard NTSC tuner. When it is
time to go with the HDTV option in your set, you just have to add a
converter to the set. In most cases you will need one for any of the cable
or satellite services anyways.

Some people say to not get an extended warranty. I have the philosophy where
I like my expensive to repair things to be insured. If you get an HDTV set,
and the CRT fails after one year, which I have seen happen, then the cost of
the service will be about the same as replacing the set. For the CRT type
sets, the extended warranty is not very expensive.

I personally would be looking at the Plasma sets, or at least the LCD flat
panel sets. The days of CRT's are at their end. I do not like the rear
screen sets. Their viewing angle is too critical, and they are not nearly as
sharp as the direct view flat panel sets.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Andy writes:

My wife wants a big screen TV, about 52 inches or so,
and we see a lot of them at Walmart, Circuit City, Frye's,
etc.

Prices range from $998 to $5000. All I want is a
HDTV monitor, as I can use a VCR for the tuner now, and
add a HD tuner when it gets more common in my area.

So, does anyone here have direct experience with what is
good and what is not ? Also, any recommendations about
warranties would be appreciated..

Andy