Joe Gorman

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:35:51 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

foggytown wrote:

And now in a burst of refreshing honesty we're all going to admit to
the most useless, waste-of-money, unnecessary, white elephant, "why the
hell did I ever buy that" tool in our arsenal.

Interesting thread. I can think of a lot of contenders for most useless.
However, the tool that clearly takes the cake is the first hand plane I
ever bought, quite a long time before I ever really settled down with the
notion of trying to make interesting things out of wood. I think I bought
it to trim a door in an apartment.

Ditto my first hand plane. It was a jewel from India via the HF store.
I hated that thing for years until I learned to Scary Sharp(tm) it.
It was my first practice iron for the process and I'll be damned if it
didn't teach me how to perfect the technique. After that, I used it a
few times, primarily for taking paint off doors and such. It's a great
toolbox plane and needs to be sharpened after each use, but I wouldn't
abuse my other fine planes to the crap I use this one for. (Y'know,
door trimming, nail finding, the occasional hammer, that kind of
stuff.) It is, however, the only -new- iron plane I've ever bought.
All the rest are wood or old arn. No aloonimum or plastic, please.

I can come up with other tools that really aren't very useful. My hot glue
gun hasn't been seen since I don't know when, and I don't really miss it.
My Crapsman router and table is a tool the use of which is best studiously
avoided.

Ah, yes. The venerable Crapsman routah table. I need to sell mine.
I have no idea why I didn't leave it in the garage at the last house.
Alyouminium top, sheetmetal legs, and not drilled for my B&D routah
pattern. Hey, I know: I'll put it on Ebay and MAKE A MILLION!

My cheap Delta scrollsaw is a close second to this plane for most

useless, poorly-conceived purchase, but even that stupid space waster has
proven sort of halfway useful at least twice. No, the plane wins, hands
down.

My B&D jigsaur is a close second to the belt sanduh.

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

I've still got that router table and router, from the Sears in New
London CT circa 1981. Had to replace the shaft locking mechanism
but it's pretty much permanently mounted with at 3/8" round over
bit in it. Only adjustments are when I want to knock less than
that off, and I drop the body a little father down. Of course
when I stopped at the parts place to order the parts I picked up
another router, with built in vac attachment and bag. It's been
OK for what little I've used it.
Joe