Dan

On Wed 29 Dec 2004 08:12:18p, "Dave"
wrote in news:6uJAd.604404$Pl.487644@pd7tw1no:

In the discussion comparing handplanes, reference is made to the
extra
effort required to tune an older or pooer quality hand plane. I have
to confess ignorance....
Is anyone up to a step by step description as to how it is done?

Dave

I really liked the Frank Klausz video on tuning up your tools. Found it at
Woodcraft. He does chisels, saws, and hand planes. Watching somebody do
this stuff is a thousand times better than reading an article or seeing
pictures. After watching him tune up and use that old fleamarket plane, I
went back to the articles and websites, and got a lot more of them because
I had a better frame of reference.

Incidentally, he does mention in that video that he used to use glass as
part of his tuneup, like for trueing a plane sole, but then he put a
straightedge to the glass pane and found it wasn't flat, so he uses a piece
of melamine now. And he set the teeth on a dovetail saw with a little
screwdriver.