alexy

"foggytown" wrote:

And now in a burst of refreshing honesty we're all going to admit to
the most useless, waste-of-money, unnecessary, white elephant, "why the
hell did I ever buy that" tool in our arsenal.

Fun list. And shows very well that what is useful for one person may
be useless for another who works in a different style.

Mine are two that many here probably love:

My 6" jointer. Maybe I need someone to come help me with setup or
teach me how to feed wood to get good results, but I find I get much
better results, and more quickly and enjoyably with my old #8. If the
wood is badly twisted, cupped or bowed, I may use the jointer instead
of my scrub plane and #5 to get it close before bringing out the #8.

My PC plunge router. Nothing philosophical here. I know that a router
can be useful, particularly mounted in my table. But I find that FOR
ME, I hardly ever use it. It has pretty much sat in its box since I
got a great deal on it a year ago when HD was closing them out.