Norman D. Crow

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed 29 Dec 2004 12:33:04p, "the_tool_man"

wrote
in oups.com:

Funny, but if someone started a "What's the best tool you've ever
bought" thread, I'd probably rank my PC biscuit joiner in the top 5 of
my tools. It's great for edge-joining and the occasional face frame.

Funny how that works. I bought an older Ryobi at a cabinet shop's going

out
of business sale for fifty bucks, worried that I was throwing money away

on
a tool I'd never use. And it's been real handy. Banded the edge of the
workbench, my panelglueing got better, put shelves in a nightstand door.
It makes aligning a lot easier and faster. I don't use it a LOT but it's
sure not on my list of tools I wish I never bought.

I guess that honor goes to the first "serious" tool I ever bought - a used
direct-drive Craftsman table saw. At least, I *thought* it was serious

when
I bought it.

Almost gave up on woodworking till I found out it might be that screaming,
dancing, wobble-bladed monster. Still got the stand around here someplace.

(1) I use my Freud biscuit joiner with fair regularity. Haven't tried the
135degree thingy with it that PC advertises, but looks like it should do
just fine with the fixed 90deg. fence and the adjustable fence together.

(2)Not all DD saws are screamers. My TS is an early 80's vintage Craftsman
DD, but with an induction motor, not a universal(no, it's not one of the
flex cable driven ones). I would love to replace it, but that's down the
road a ways. With a decent blade & some blade stabilizers it does OK. The
stabilizers were the best investment I made for it, because the original
pressed steel ones were causing way too much runout.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.