Ray Sandusky

Keith

Your post is one that gives me the impression that you are reaching a point
of frustration in your effort as a turner and marketer. May I offer you a
bit of support by telling you about my experience?!

Personally, I love the items that I turn - I remember almost everyone of
them - probably over 1000. I keep a pretty good record of them by
photographing my work and I personally do all of the work on every piece.
(There are some turners and wood artists that receive help form their
spouses, children or hired hands.) The personal knowledge of every piece is
important to me. I have gone into people's homes who own one of my pieces,
that did not know that I made the item and was able to tell them my
experience in cutting up the tree and making the piece - it added to their
appreciation of the item. I even showed them my signature on the bottom!

I have been fortunate in my endeavor to sell my work by positioning myself
in many charity oriented venues. By doing the charity sales - where I
either donate a piece for the auction and have a sales booth, or have a
piece prominantly displayed in the auction (with my name and contact info),
it can be a way to make my work receive attention from the people who have
the discretionary income to spend on works of art or function. The
charitable events are also fulfilling in that I am using my work and passion
to bless others who may not be as fortunate as me. I have donated pieces to
local benefits for AIDS, Hemophelia, and Children services. In each case,
the pieces have brought a pretty sum and in one case, I am invited every
year to not only offer a piece for auction, but to set up a booth and sell
my work for a fee of 40% to the charity. Heck a gallery wants 50%, so I'll
take the 60% and the contacts among the movers and shakers of the local
economy as potential customers.

Another area to explore is local retailers - there are some retailers who
have high-end clientelle and unique giftware offerings - these places
usually would kill to have a local source for specialty items like lidded
boxes or for custom work - like salad bowls of specific sizes/shapes etc.
These pieces will bring in good prices as well.

Also, get your wife to talk to her friends about your work - you never know
who your wife's friends may know. My biggest fan is a woman who is a friend
of one of my wife's friends - she loves my work and has bought about 50
pieces - she gives them as gifts. She also tells everyone she knows about
my work and how I relate a bit on the life of the tree - where it grew, how
old it was and whether anything significant happened near the tree. Being
from an area where a number of Civil War battles took place, I have come
across some pretty cool stories to relate to the pieces that were cut from
very old trees! By the way, this lady is a prominant member of local
society and her ex-husband was at one time twice as rich as he is now!

So, Keith, be of hearty fortitude and find your way - it may be different
than mine, but it should be one where you find joy in the work and pleasure
in the result!

Happy New Year

Ray Sandusky
Brentwood, TN USA