DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Kelly Jones wrote:
Thanks. Lots of good info. I spent the day playing with the machine. The
first thing I did was to reset the tool height like Phants suggested and got
an immediate improvement. Then I chucked up some 6160T6511 I got at the
local scrap yard. It turns beautify. I also experimented with some
internal turning / boring. Learned quickly that the thickness of the tool
was greater than the width (i.e. it started rubbing).

Yep -- you need a special format to use for boring. My own
favorite is a 1/2" solid carbide bar with carbide inserts. (The benefit
of the solid carbide is that it has less give than any steel of the same
size, so it is harder for it to start chattering at a long extension.

For shallow bores, get some of the brazed carbide insert boring
bar sets for boring heads. Just make sure that the shank will fit into
your tool holders. The BXA quick-change tool holders will accept 5/8"
square shanks, and the one which you want has a 'V' bottom to the tool
holder slot, so a round piece won't try to roll out under cutting loads.

Thought I really
screwed up, but I hit the emergency stop fast enough and everything still
looks OK.

O.K. Good reflexes help a lot. :-)

I am surprised that the machine came with carbide inserts, but I am not
complaining. Is there a way to tell by looking?

It may be cheap insert tools (which tend to have more expensive
inserts. :-) A quick test for whether an insert is carbide or HSS is a
magnet. HSS should be attracted, while the carbide should pretty much
ignore it. (I think -- I would have to go downstairs to check it for
sure.)

Some of the inserts are TiN coated (Titanium Nitride, not the
metal "tin"). Those will look gold. Though HSS can be (and is) TiN
coated, too.

I've got center drills and a cut off tool on order. Should be here within a
week.

Within a *week*? You need to learn about MSC. Check out:

http://www.mscdirect.com/

and register for a catalog. (It is *big* -- over 4000 pages last time I
checked.) While there are places which will charge you less, MSC is
*very* quick. I don't know where you are located, but where I am, most
things called in by about 6:00 PM or so will be here about 3:00 PM the
next day. (The nearest warehouse is in Harrisburg PA, and I'm just a
bit south of Washington DC.) They've got enough warehouses around the
country so I would think that at worst you would only need one more day
on top of that for most things.

The machine came with a quick change tool post.

Great! Those are *so* much better than the turret toolposts.
Any idea what size? Aloris and several other makers use the
"AXA/BXA/..." markings, while Phase II and some others use
"Series 100/200/...". The tool holders are interchangeable between
them. I have the Phase-II Series 200 toolpost, and use a mix of
Phase-II and Aloris tool holders.

Thanks again for the
info.

You're welcome.

BTW. When commenting on the 4" stickout for 0.750" diameter situation
I forgot to mention that anything beyond 4X the diameter of
stickout needs support -- and if you're close -- use a center to
support it anyway.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564