View Single Post
  #73   Report Post  

I have a Transit 80 circa 1994 and a Fiat Ducato same era. The Transit is the Morris thousand of vans, many faults but you can't beat it for reliability and cheapness of both parts and labour. The Fiat is bigger more thirsty, quicker off the mark, but isn't a personality.

I frequently carry 20 or more plasboard on the full frame roof rack of the tranny, which vertually turns it into a double decker. Aged 47, shinning up to the roof one foot on the back wheel, a good grip on the roof rack and I'm up there walking on the bridge round the back of the merchant's pulling sheet by sheet off the forklift. That's the beauty of a transit, it's at home with all things building trade.

My trade is gas fitter, but I renovate houses and coordinate all trades, so I get my hands dirty in all aspects of building, and I love it, get payed for playing at being a builder.

Just go and get a Transit with a big f**k off roof rack, you'll always get back what it cost. Last one I sold only stayed on the end of the road for an hour before it sold and then I could have sold it twice more the same evening. I got all my money back.