Adam Aglionby

Default Number and positioning of downlights in living room

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
. ..

"SPC" wrote in message
As this is quite a small room I had initially planned to place
4x50watt eyeball downlights in a square. But having read some of the
posts here I am concerned that this won't be enough...

If you don't like them once they are installed, it would not be too
difficult to replace them with larger diameter downlighters, using low
energy

Personally not fond of fluro downlighters in a realaxation area, your
milegae may vary.

or PAR 38 lamps, which can give more light

At the expense, literally, of more power and lowered effiency,PAR 38 even in
econo flavour is 80W, a 50W 12V lamp will provide as much light at a
slightly higher colour temperature.

PAR 38`s really are outdated nowadays.

and which will almost
certainly give a wider spread of light.

Bigger lamp and filament will give a wider spread, but the mains voltage
MR16`s also give a pleasingly wide spread due to the big filament, there
tendency to pop like pop corn is not their most endearing feature.

Good quality LV lamps in flood format will have a diffusing lens sealed on
the front.

Adam

Colin Bignell