Roger Shoaf

"Kelly Jones" wrote in message

1. Unknown tool. (I know this sounds crazy.) They are the tools that

came
with the machine. They are indexable inserts, but I don't know if they

are
carbide or simply HSS (although I suspect the latter).

If they are inserts they are probably carbide.

2. I have tried a variety of feed rates, including the smallest

available.
Usually I have it set mid-range (I don't recall the precise setting at

this
time, but changes in feed rate seem to make no difference.)

3. I have tried all the speeds from 200 to 1000 RPM. I have been

hesitiant
to go faster.

Speed is a function of diameter. Smaller stuff runs faster than larger
stuff.

Phants' comment about the tool height may have some
bearing. I set the tool "high" to achieve the 5 degree offset described

in
chapter 7 of the Army training manual. Could it be that this only applies
to square tools (not inserts)?

When turning, you want the cutting edge to be right on the centerline. What
I do is (with the machine off) pinch a small scale (ruler) in between the
bit and the work piece until it just stays without falling. If the top of
the scale tips toward you your cutter is low. If it tips away your bit is
too high.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.