SteveB

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an 8 foot gate which opens in the middle. Each gate has a bent
bar toward the bottom that is put in a hole in the ground to help keep
the gate closed. Recently I had concrete poured in the area and they
covered the holes. I want to drill holes into the slab so I can use
the bars again. I am concerned that water will get into the holes,
freeze, and crack the slab. Is this a valid concern? If yes, what can
I do to reduce this risk?
TIA
Jody

I did this to make a receiver for my two drop pins:

I cut the ends out of a bigger coffee can. I used this as a sonotube. I
put two pieces of 1/2" black sprinkler pipe over the bottom of the pins to
keep the holes open. I poured concrete around them.

Since you have an existing piece of concrete, you could drill 5/8 or 3/4
holes, insert the short pieces of pipe, drop the pin/s to align, and pour a
small amount of pourstone in the void between the plastic pipe and the
existing concrete.

As the other poster said, the water will expand, but it will come up, and
not go out. If the pin/s are in there, there won't be much water, and your
biggest problem may be the pins freezing in the down position, trapped by
the water.

Steve