Kelly Jones

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:52:42 -0800, "Kelly Jones"
wrote:

Fill in the blanks

1. What kind of tool are you using?
2. What is your feed rate in inches/rev?
3. What is your rpm?
4. How much material do you have hanging out of your chuck?
5. Have you tried a piece of aluminum?

Gunner

Thanks for the comments guys.

Answers to Gunner's questions:

1. Unknown tool. (I know this sounds crazy.) They are the tools that came
with the machine. They are indexable inserts, but I don't know if they are
carbide or simply HSS (although I suspect the latter).

2. I have tried a variety of feed rates, including the smallest available.
Usually I have it set mid-range (I don't recall the precise setting at this
time, but changes in feed rate seem to make no difference.)

3. I have tried all the speeds from 200 to 1000 RPM. I have been hesitiant
to go faster.

4. About 4 inches.

5. I have not tried aluminum yet.

I know that I have damaged some of the tools (inserts) in my experimentation
(chipped, dulled) but I still have this problem after rotating the insert to
a fresh surface. Phants' comment about the tool height may have some
bearing. I set the tool "high" to achieve the 5 degree offset described in
chapter 7 of the Army training manual. Could it be that this only applies
to square tools (not inserts)?