Robert Allison

John Moorhead wrote:

Folks -

It finally happened! I've got a gloat! This gal in my woodshop class has
had a mess of tools and things in storage back east for several years.
Anyway, she finally went back and got them all shipped out and had NO room
for many of the items. I've helped her in the past, cutting down plywood,
doing grunt work for her, she's just a slip of a thing, and has tested
postive for AARP....

She has a Porter Cable Tiger Saw, about 3 cuts away from new, a Milwaulkee
1/2" BEEFY angle head drill, a Senco 2" finish nailer, and a Craftsman
Stationary Drill press. She wanted me to have them for Rose and I going
over to her place and assembling an huge old bookcase! Whooeee! I didn't
say no!

Snippage

John Moorhead

This reminds me of an event that happened to me about 20 years ago.
I had an ad in a local paper for cleaning out attics and such,
sometimes for the contents. Got a call from a little old lady about
70 to clean out her garage. When I arrived, she explained that her
husband had died and she wanted all the stuff moved out of the 2 car
garage so she could use it as a garage again. I took a look and
found a 10" powermatic TS, Jet jointer, drill press, bandsaw, lathes
(both metal and wood), and handtools too numerous to mention.
Cutting torch, welding machine, basically a complete metal and
woodworking shop.

I asked her how much she wanted for it, and she wanted nothing, just
to get it out of there! I wandered around the shop for about an
hour inventorying the place, but couldn't bring myself to just take
it. I told her that unless she was very well off that I would try
to sell it for her and give her the money and take whatever was
left.

I called a friend of mine that had a cabinet shop. He came over and
after he and a welding friend of his were through, the lady was
$7,000 richer and I still had over a thousand dollars worth of
various tools, bits, blades, etc, plus free use of the cabinet shop
when I needed it!

I felt better than if I had just taken the whole shebang, and the
little lady was thrilled.

Now that I have a few bucks in my pocket, I am waiting for a similar
deal to come around again.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.