Mathew J. Newton

Default Suitable caps/cowls for disused chimney and living flame gas fire

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message on.co.uk...
snip
You might find that for the unused chimney a terracotta terminal whcih
simply drops into the existing chimney pot is ideal and very simply to
fit.

The one with the gas fire requires a terminal approved for such use.
Plain open round terracotta chimney pots (amazingly) are approved.
The terracotta type that drops into the top of the pot are seriously
expensive (about £50+).

Any how youshould in no way fit anything other than an approved
terminal on the gas flue. Since you are modifying the flue you should also
check that after you have added the terminal the gas fire still passes its
required spillage tests as laid out in its manual.

HTH

Thanks Ed (and Rob also) for the advice. As you say the terracotta
drop-in cowls are somewhat more expensive than the Brewer offerings
and given the latter are still simple enough to fit I will go with
them. I spoke to Brewer and they confirmed that the gas version of the
cowl is indeed the correct type for an ILFE.

Thanks also for the advice regarding performing a spillage test - I
dug out the manual and it seems a simple enough task to carry out.

Cheers,

Mathew