Astro

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:45:56 GMT, Joseph Meehan
wrote:

snipped out long prelude

so your saying a solution of clorox won't kill mold. and fresh dry
air won't stop it from growing?

Not exactly. Chlorox is NOT made to kill molds. Have you ever sprayed
it on a basement wall or a closet where mold grows? Notice how it
seems to keep showing up? Obviously, Chlorox is not a permanent
solution. And remember, some molds are harmless. Others will KILL
you. Dry air may help but a key to getting rid of mold is air
changes. Insulate that house and plug all those holes and you have
the same nasty air to breed mold. That's why HRV's (Heat Recovery
Ventilators) and ERV's (Energy Recovery Ventilators) are becoming so
popular and being installed in new homes. To ventilate and/or change
the air in the home.
Bubba

Bubba, please post some news links of people who have perished from
mold.

Here are some lawyers looking for work on wrongful death by mold

http://www.apersonalinjurylawyersour...oxic_mold.html

On the other side here is a report in the Official OSU newspaper

http://www.thelantern.com/news/2004/...d-596812.shtml

Personally I am open to both arguments, but I am not convinced by
either. So I will suggest that molds can cause illnesses and certainly
can
create serious problems for anyone selling a home that had mold problems
which have not been professionally handled.

The U.S. EPA has a website specifically on mold without the hype:
http://www.epa.gov/mold/

Here is the key quotation:
"There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the
indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control
moisture"

They have extensive resources there that answer many of the questions
flying around this discussion.

Many people are sensitive to mold spores because of allergies. I'm sure
someone, somewhere has died from mold exposure. Likewise, I'm sure
someone, somewhere has died due to ragweed allergies or cat dander. The
current scare tactics being used to sell mold remediation services
overplay the dangers to the vast majority of the population so that the
lawyers and contractors can make a quick $$$. If mold were going to kill
the OP and his family, it would have done so already. There's probably
billions of spores floating around that they've breathed just by being
around it.

Not to say I'd be cavalier around it. I would wear a good respirator, some
rubber gloves, provide lots of veintillation, and remove all visible signs
of mold. Toss all that wet and moldy garbage. As someone else noted,
bleach is an excellent biocide. Very few organisms can survive when
sprayed with bleach.

There's a bunch of scare sites out there that say "bleach ineffective at
killing mold". They indicate this problem because it won't penetrate
porous surfaces.

Then there's:
http://www.medicalnewsservice.com/ARCHIVE/MNS2197.cfm

key quotation:
"The study results confirm that denaturing the mold spores with a dilute
chlorine bleach solution appears to be the most effective and efficient
way to reduce mold allergen on hard surfaces."

As other posters have indicated, kill the surface mold and get rid of the
moisture problem. Mold can't grow in the wrong (i.e. dry) environment. If
you want to kill it deep into the surfaces, get one of the mold killing
agents sold for that purpose.

good luck. Let us know your progress.