Glenna Rose

doolc-.at.-comcast.com writes:
Just starting out making furniture as a hobby and am looking for a
good (cheap?) supplier in the Portland Oregon area? I have heard
about lumber via mail order, but am not familiar with that and suspect
the shipping could be murderous. Home Depot and Lowes have some wood,
but to me are on the expensive side for selection they have.

If you want less expensive wood (and excellent service), you might try
Shurway Building in Vancouver on St. Johns Boulevard (just south of 78th
Street). They have seconds and over-runs as well as scraps (like the top
foot cut off of paneling) for good prices. I've gotten some good wood
there as well as less expensive stuff for utility shelves, etc. You might
find it worth your while to pay them a visit since they are just across
the river, about 10 minutes from I-5 bridge. When you cross the bridge,
stay in the right lane and take the Highway 500 exit, the next left is St.
Johns. Follow that past the railroad tracks about half a mile; Shurway is
on the left. The folks that work there are the "regular" lumber store
folks who are very helpful and care about their customers.

They stock much more than "seconds" and have some great other wood also.

If you want specialty woods, WoodCrafters in Portland or Bergeron Lumber
in Vancouver are two good sources.

While I'm here, I'll post a question about cutting boards in another post.

Glenna