Gunner

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:52:42 -0800, "Kelly Jones"
wrote:

Hi all. I just got a new lathe for Christmas and I have been trying it out.
I have been trying to turn a piece of unknown CRES from about 0.75 OD to
about 0.38 OD. I have tried various speeds and feeds but still keep getting
a very rough finish. The finish is so bad that it looks as is the metal is
being torn rather than cut. The surface is full of small slivers that would
cut your hand i a heartbeat. I am having similar problems with an unkown
carbon steel, although not as bad. I have checked the Machinery's Handbook,
the Army metal working PDF, and some engineering reference books I have, but
no help. I thought that I might even be using the tools wrong (cutting on
the wrong face) but I can't seem to find the source of the problem. The
lathe is a Grizzly 12 X 36. Any ideas?

Fill in the blanks

1. What kind of tool are you using?
2. What is your feed rate in inches/rev?
3. What is your rpm?
4. How much material do you have hanging out of your chuck?
5. Have you tried a piece of aluminum?

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio