Gunner

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:44:01 -0600, "Ken Davey"
wrote:

The mark does matter.All precision spindle bearings are so marked and
the marks must be lined up even between front and rear bearings.There
should also be marks on the outer races which should be in line when
fitting the spindle into the housing.The marks are the high point of
the eccentricity in the bearings and if not lined up you may
experience vibration at the higher end of the revs.
My next job is spindle bearings on a Warner Swasey WSC12.I think they
are called 1SC`s over there.It has three angular contact bearings at
the front and one at the back and the book keeps reminding you to line
up the marks for the above reasons.
regards,Mark.

Your reply sure has my attention and should scare the hell out of anyone who
is facing any messing around with precision bearing 'pairs'.
Dig deep - get the straight 'goods' and do not guess!!
If Gunner has questions really pay attention!!

Ken.

I do high precision spindle bearing replacements as part of my
livelihood. When the bearings cost $200USD or more each...making sure
one gets it dead nuts correct the first time is pretty important as a
warranty replacement may cost you a house payment or more.....

I had a guy once tell me I was being anal after watching me do a set
of bearings on a Hardinge DSMA. "he just sticks em in"

A month later I charged his company $600 plus the cost of new bearings
to replace the ones "he just stuck in" 3 months before. G after they
seized.

Somewhere kicking around is a kinda sorta FAQ that I wrote about
replacing spindle bearings, if anyone has seen it, it may be of some
generic assistance in the general steps needed and the care required
in doing a replacement.

Gunner, 300+ spindle bearings replaced, and all are still running
perfectly (knock on wood)

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio