Silvan

D'oh...looks like it's not dewaxed! This furniture is too important to
take chances with so I don't think I can live with that. Argh, why must
everything be flawed?!

To solve the wax problem, either use Seal Coat, or just de-wax it yourself.
Seal Coat is a 2# cut, and it's dewaxed out of the can. (I've heard...
Haven't used it.) The regular Bullseye stuff is a 3# cut.

If you're mixing down some 3# into a jar to make a 2# cut, say, then pour
off some of the 3#, add a suitable amount of alkie-haul, and shake it all
up. After it's mixed, let it sit a bit. Probably overnight should do it.
You'll wind up with goopy yellow stuff at the bottom of the jar, and amber
liquid on top. Pour off the amber liquid, and that's your dewaxed shellac.

Of course, having said all that, I didn't bother to decant the shellac I
used on my chess box last year. (Wow, it has been over a year since I
finished a project. ) It came out just fine.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/