Ed Huntress

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:03:14 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
calmly ranted:

"Ronnie" wrote in message
roups.com...
Thanks for all the great info. When you use Muratic acid, do you just
dip the piece or soak it...for how long?
Ronnie

It typically takes less than 10 minutes. I arrange a plastic

peanut-butter
jar on the ground, stick a few pieces of tubing in it and prop them up
really well, and then pour about 5 inches of muriatic acid into the jar.
It's quick in the summer, slower in the winter.

Don't do this in your shop. The hydrochloric acid vapor will leave a fine
layer of rust over every bedway, every exposed spindle, and any other

piece
of steel in the entire shop, in just hours. No kidding. This is for
outdoors.

Do you also want to stop up the inside of the pipe so it doesn't rust?

I don't know. I've never had any trouble with them rusting any more than any
other piece of clean steel. I have some test pieces that have been in my
basement for a few years with no protection on them at all. No rust, either.
I didn't even neutralize them, but I washed them in running water.

--
Ed Huntress