Edwin Pawlowski

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
The problem is that the new wood doesn't match the existing wood. The
color is fine, but the new wood has far more variation in grain than what
it was supposed to match..

What to do?

Live with it. There is no practical solution. Trees grow in the woods and
they have grain characteristics according to the conditions of the
particular area. Water, drought, heat, other growth nearby all affect the
final result. Chances are the trees from the original floor were 100 years
older and maybe had a tighter grain than anything available today.

Only way to assure grain matching is to select each board individually
before the flooring guy ever cuts it. You may have to view a thousand trees
to come close. IMO, your expectations are too high. One of my hobbies is
woodworking. I can show you boards that are six feet long and the grain
variation is so different at each end you wonder if it is even the same
species.

Culling wood to find only those that come close to the original could easily
drive the cost up two or three times. I often look through a dozen boards
to find two close enough for a small project. to do a floor would be a
nightmare.