davexnet02

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:51:02 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"davexnet02" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:11:54 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet"
wrote:

"RonKZ650" wrote in message
As I mentioned, the CRT filaments are not lit at all.
I'll check the CRT board to see if anything shows up there.

Look for cracked solder joints on the neck board or bulging or leaking
electrolytic capacitors. It's quite possible the picture was washed out due
to low filament voltage.

I made some progress on this. I turned up the G2 voltage a
little, and I was able to see that the filaments were lit,
but still no picture.

I pulled the main chassis from the TV and inspected the
underside. I paid attention to the area's close to the
FBT, as this seemed to be where the horizontal and vertical
deflection business was done.

I resoldered some connections, to capacitors, resisitors,
and transformers, anything I could see that looked bad.

I put it back in and turned on the TV.
For 20 minutes, nothing but sound & black screen, (as before)
then all of a sudden - a very weird, electrical crackle, a flash
of bright blue on the screen, followed by normal operation 2 seconds
later. It's been working fine for two days now.
Even the line pairing I was getting in the top half of the screen
is greatly dimished.

A couple of observations though, when I turn of the TV now,
there's a brief display of color spots on the screen in the
center - just for a few seconds. First time I've seen that
on this set.
Second, the G2 voltage. I marked it with a pen before I disturbed
it, and retuned it as close as is possible with this method, but I
don't think it's exact. Is it a big deal if it's slightly out?
regards,
Dave