Chuck

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:07:44 GMT, "Margret Huntress"
wrote:

Hi, I have heard of finishing pens with CA glue, but I'm a bit hesitant to
try it. I've been using Myland friction polish, but was told this would
give a better finish. How would I go about using CA? Is it really better?

IMO, pretty much anything is better than friction polish, which is
great until someone handles the pen. I use CA glue on punky or
unstable woods, like spalted woods or pieces of burl, or a pink ivory
pen I just turned the other day with a knot in it. It's really quite
easy to do, but make sure you have good ventilation because CA glue is
really irritating to the eyes and nose.

After you have sanded up to your finest grit, use thin CA and cover
the surface of the pen with the lathe off, smoothing it over the
surface with your finger with a piece of Saran Wrap, baggie or
something similar. I use my bare finger, actually, and the glue
usually wears off by the end of my turning session. In any case, give
the glue a few minutes to soak in and dry, then sand again, using the
finest grit you have. I sometimes wet sand and sometimes dry,
depending on the wood. After sanding, I will often use EEE-Ultrashine
and finally finish it off with pure carnauba wax, which give a nice,
durable, glossy shine.

As far as non-CA pens go, I use EEE Ultrashine, followed by sanding
sealer, buffed, then a coat or two of pure carnauba wax for a durable
shine. Beats the heck out of friction finishes.
--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget