Mike

Margret Huntress wrote:
Hi, I have heard of finishing pens with CA glue, but I'm a bit hesitant to
try it. I've been using Myland friction polish, but was told this would
give a better finish. How would I go about using CA? Is it really better?
Thanks,

One way to use CA is with BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil). Sand the turned pen to
whatever you want, then I use Mylands Sanding Sealer and resand with my last
two grades of paper - just lightly.

Then wet a paper towel with BLO and wipe it on (lathe turning at slowest
speed) then rewet the towel with BLO and while applying it on the bottom drip
thin CA on top - all along the length. Once along the pen is enough. Let it
dry, and if you want use you final grit and sand once more, very lightly.
Then put on one (or more) coats of the BLO/CA.

Is this better? I think it gives the pen a 'plastic' feel, very little feel
of the grain of the wood. It does last a long time. I've been carrying three
pens in my glasses case for about 6 months without the pens showing any wear.
Friction Polish is mainly shellac, and could (will) soften with alcohol, maybe
water (sweat). It's your choice as to which is 'better'.