Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:57:05 -0600, Duane Bozarth
calmly ranted:

Charlie Self wrote:

Duane Bozarth responds:

Charlie Self wrote:
... Redgum is colorful and far from soft. ...

Yes, but... Not hard in the sense of hard maple, though...

Unfortunately, as followup, I couldn't find my copy of Hoadley last
night...

No, but hard maple is soft compared to some other woods (mesquite and jarrah
and ipe among a large group). I'm not really sure where red gum falls on the
Janke scale, ...

Probably below jarrah and above oak, but it's not listed here.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/w...ness_chart.asp

I know, but as a single generality (which was all I was doing) I'd lump
red gum as one of the "softer" vis a vis "harder" hard woods...it is,
however, one of the more variable specie in properties...

Redgum, as in yewcallapeetus trees? They're a very tough wood. Many
of our LoCal redgums died off as a result of lerp psyllids (bugs,
David) about 1999-2001. Phully calls the stuff "Marri".

If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk