Swingman

"mac davis" wrote in message

I got my CMS a few years ago and almost immediately screwed up by
trying to cut a piece that was too short to safely cut using a CMS..
the piece moved (as it almost had to) a bit and bound the blade,
causing the stock (a 5 or 6" piece of 4x4) to twist and get a 1/2"
curved gash on a sort of diagonal line... about where my hand was
before I let go...
I was SO lucky, and I appreciate that.. but I was also incredibly
stupid... If in doubt, I'll clamp it and keep my hands far from the
blade, or find another way to make the cut..

I mention if for the obvious reasons.

I did much the same thing in what I hope were my stupid(er) days, on a
little longer piece of wood than you (thank gawd) that I FAILED to snug up
against the fence, because I was trying to increase the angle a bit (powered
miter saws were fairly new then and you learned by experience). I did!

I'll never forget the speed with which that blade snatched the piece of wood
and slammed it against the fence, with my fingers first. I was lucky to only
lose four fingernails from the incident.

Every since then I have had a healthy respect for the quickness, and power
to do harm, of miter and chop saws.

wheewww ... still shudder when I think about it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04