Ed Huntress

"Ronnie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm tired of trying to find 1/2" thin wall, round tubing (not pipe). It
was suggested locally that I try using rigid EMT electrical conduit.
Anyone use this for projects? I don't know why it won't work; it
doesn't appear to be galvanized. The best part is .26 cents a foot
versus $3.00 a foot for mailorder tubing.

Being an incurable skinflint, I use it a lot. It's great for practice
welding. It also stands up quite well for non-critical projects. Don't bet
your life on it, but you can make some nice furniture with it. d8-)

Strip the zinc off for a few inches from where you're going to weld. Some
people grind. I use hydrochloric (muriatic) acid, which you can get from a
good paint store (it's used for neutralizing concrete before painting), a
farm-supply store, or some pool-supply stores. Wash the tubing well after
stripping. Also, wear a cheap fume mask (I paid $8 each for three 3M fume
masks at my welding supply a few years ago, and I still have two of them).
Wear it, or you may get zinc fume fever, which is temporary but thoroughly
miserable. It feels like the flu.

Happy welding.

--
Ed Huntress