toller

I will look forward to your results.
People say it is light, it is air, it is magic...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I can't explain it like others did; but what you're describing is what
I am beginning to expect with cherry (that light is not what makes it
darken). I'm in the process of setting up an experiment where I take 4
strips of cherry (cut from the same board) and leave part natural, put
water based poly on part, and put oil based poly on part of each in the
same way. I'm going to put one strip in the dark, one exposed to
incandenscent light, one exposed to fluorescent light, and one exposed
to sunlight and see what happens. I'm also going to put a strip of
tape across each section of each strip to affect how much air hits the
surface.

Charles Lerner
toller wrote:
Last year I built a cherry chest for our bedroom. It has darkened

pretty
much like it should.

Today I was digging through my cutoff bin, looking for some scrap

ash; the
bin is in a basement corner, under a shelf. It gets no sunlight, and

very
little light of any kind.

I found some cutoffs from the chest that are the exact same color as

the
chest. Explain that.