The Natural Philosopher

Default Dry atmosphere problem

Peter Taylor wrote:

Simon Avery wrote

JA| Anyone out there have similar problems with a dry
JA| atmosphere?

Curious timing - yes.

Only not to skin. We have a lot of pine panelling in this house, both
walls and ceiling. Heard it cracking behind the sofa last week and
noticed two big joints seperating in the kitchen ceiling. Figured it
was shrinkage so checked the humidistat - 45% whereas it's normally
55-60% here.

Then it twigged... The wife's been home for 6 weeks nursing a broken
pelvis and she's had the heating on 24/7...

Boing!!! (That was the penny dropping)

Every winter the skin on my hands becomes dry and cracked. In the past I've put
this down to mucking about with plaster and cement etc. This year it is really
bad - several areas of skin like old boots, splits, extremely sore and often
bleeding. Been putting E45 etc on twice a day - makes it more supple but
doesn't cure it. And I haven't touched any plaster or cement since September.
Been really puzzled (and worried) about what's causing it. Never thought of the
CH - I've been working at home with the heating on since October too. Thank you
so much Simon.

Just boil some water up. That makes it steamier. Or have indoor plants
about.

Peter