On 28 Dec 2004 14:57:16 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

writes:
Anyone know if there is a convention/good practice when wiring
lighting circuits for halls/stairs/landings in terms of which circuit
they should be placed on.

Ie, should they all be on the 'upstairs lights' circuit, the
'downstairs lights' cct or split between the two depending on
location. Of course, the latter would mean that going to at least one
light switch would be power from both up and down lighting ccts. Is
that a problem?

If it is, then I have it. The double switch at the bottom of the stairs
which switches the upstairs and downstairs hall lights is fed from
two different circuits.

(Mind you, the wiring in my house is a mess. It looks like it was done
in about three stages, so various things are not on the C/B you would
expect. Which is why I went round and marked them all, and why I know
about the aforementioned switch.)

Some of the things you get to see are truly shocking.

I was looking at one ( a recently built place) the other day and found
that a ring circuit was not a ring, but supplied from 2 MCBs. What
they had done was take one of the ring ends to the correct 32A MCB and
the other to the MCB for the immersion. The immersion was then
inserted into the ring MCB, being mistaken for one of the ring ends.

Flip!