Kat

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:44:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Kat wrote:

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 08:15:18 -0000, "nightjar"
wrote:

"Kat" wrote in message
.. .

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out.
I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle
for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of
plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models?
Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit; that's for sure. Toyota
Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4'
sheets in...

Personally, I would choose the car I need, have a tow hook fitted on it, and
either hire a trailer when I needed one or, if the use justified it, buy
one.

For example, the Ifor Williams BV5 will take 2400 x 1200 mm sheets flat
inside

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/boxvan/bv5.htm

or the BV4 will take them standing on edge

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/boxvan/bv4.htm

I used one of the latter to take furniture the length of France a couple of
years ago.

My local Ifor Williams dealer hires out trailers and I would be surprised if
others did not do so as well.

Hi Colin, Thanks for this excellent suggestion. I've never seen
trailers for hire in my area but I'd venture to guess that If I look
hard enough, I'll find some. It might even make sense for me to buy
one, since those horse-box type trailers seem like quite a secure form
of lockable storage which might be very useful when I come to move
house.

They are not bad at all, but the trailers do NOT come cheap, and
reversing a trailer is a bit of an art - and one I don't have.

But a good estate car like a merc or volvo (shudder!) with a tow bar,
and a trailer is a darned useful combo.

However if you are doing long term hose renovation and want a lockable
storage, hire a container: Its MUCH easier than using a trailer.

Friend I knew once bougfht a clapped out van to do his removals for less
than the cost of hiring one, and sold it for marginally more than he
bought it for afterwards. That was some time ago. Going rate for a
runner in basically working oder with 6-9months MOT should be under 500
squids.

Yes, that may be what I end up doing. My car just failed the MOT and
seems prohibitively costly to do the work (welding).

But I shuddr at the thought of using a van for the regular 60-mile
weekend trips I have to do, and nipping to town just for grocieries.
So I'm allso thinking of an estate or possiblt a longish hatch-back. I
had a hatchback once, and I couild get very big items in it by driving
with the hatch open and the cargo sticking out of the back (well tied
down of course). For the long, fast trips, the hatchbacks tend to burn
less fuel due to the better aerodynamics, methinks. But they don't
have that large roof area for a large roof-rack suitable for
plasterboard sheets etc.