Nick Hull

In article . com,
wrote:

Yes, I think it is possible to make a set of jaws, but I wonder how
much time and effort it would take. And, what about heat treating them
and doing the final grinding? If you live in some far away place
(Africa?) maybe this makes sense. Otherwise, you can buy a 3 jaw 6"
chuck like this:
(I own one of them and it is far, far better than anything I could hope
to make) for less than you can probably buy jaws for a jawless chuck.
Of course if the chuck you are talking about is some expensive chuck in
good condition maybe buying a set of jaws from the manufacturer is
worth the price. MSC lists a set of 3 outside jaws for a Buck 6" chuck
for only $249.24.

Best suggestion yet, I just ordered that chuck. It's in my price range
and nothing like a testimonial from an owner. I guess my real problem
was a bad ebay search, not all lathe chucks come up under "lathe chuck".

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/