Jim Adney

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:36:39 +0000 Carl wrote:

I suspect that you must be the only person left in the free world that
doesn't know that chlorofluorocarbons (of which Freon is a major member
of the group)have been primarily responsible for the hole in the Ozone
Layer.

I wish this were correct, but unfortunately there are still a large
number of people out there who just can't believe that there could
possibly be anything we could do to the earth that would upset any of
Mother Nature's normal balances.

Most of the time this just takes the form of, "My father did this, and
so did his father and his father before him. It didn't have any effect
then so there's no reason to think that it should have any effect
now."

Unfortunately, there are just a lot more of US here now, so our
collective effects are compounding, plus we come up with more and
different ways to alter the environment every year. Freon has only
been around something like 50 years, so my great-grandfather never
used it.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA