Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:29:24 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

While the precipitation line must be somewhere, it is usually not as
abrupt, more of a gradual tapering off from rain to drizzle to mist. The
sharp demarcation of rain/dry is what is interesting.

I know, I spent 30 years in VA/TN where it does rain more generally like
that...I suppose, though, that for those of us who are in the western
states where virtually all of our rainfall is thunderstorm-type and
where we can see for long distances, the phenomenon is so common as to
be expected rather than the unexpected...

I recall one time as a kid sitting in the dining room at noon while it
rained out the west windows and was dry on the east side--took several
minutes for it to move the other fifteen feet or so required to get to
the other side of the house, too. Usually things aren't that
slow-moving around here, but that particular storm was.

Having grown up on the plains of Colorado, and now living in Tucson
(where it does rain occasionally), as well as spending 17 years in Dallas,
the majority of rain changes I recall went from intermittent drops to
sprinkle to downpour, then back again. Tucson certainly seems to have more
of the abrupt demarcations than either Dallas or the Denver area. In
Colorado, I do know that the rain was often localized, i.e. while in town
we would experience heavy, but once we turned onto the dirt road home
(about 10 miles from town), we'd be kicking up dust. Even in those cases
though, the transition was more gradual than the rain/no rain demarcations
being discussed.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry