William Deans

Greetings,

I was told that I could not do the work myself but I didn't say the magic
words "owner/builder permit".
I will call back using this phrase and see what happens.

Thank you for the advice,
William

"Greg" wrote in message
Call the permitting office. Most places will allow "owner/builder" permits

as
long as you don't immediately roll the house over to a new owner.
There are some rules about sub contractors having to be licensed, insured

etc
but if you are truly doing all the work you are OK. I built my own pool

with no
hassles from the county and my insurance guy didn't care.
There is really more interest in income, FICA taxes and insurance on

casual
labor than the qualifications of these people. You pulled the permit and

you
"own" code compliance.
You can buy some extra liability insurance to cover a guy who gets hurt on

your
job, just don't cheap out on it.
The FICA deal is between you and the IRS. There are rules about "casual

labor"
and the number of hours you can employ someone before you have to start
withholding taxes.