George E. Cawthon

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

By the way, the inches of water measure is based on 4 deg C and
mercury is based on 0 C.

That's distilled (H2O) water I presume, not "heavy water" (D2O) which
has a specifig gravity of 1.107. G Ice cubes made from D2O sink in
regular water.

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/DE/deuterium_oxide.html

You can even buy it he

http://www.unitednuclear.com/chem.htm

The town water where our business is located has enough bad taste to it
that I bet it even has a different density.G

There's so much salt in it (from years of road salt finding its way into
the well water.) that the town has to tell all property owners that if
they are on a restricted salt diet, "Don't drink the water."

Interestingly enough, there's no town regulation requiring the property
owners to inform office tenants like us, or apartment tenants. Seems
like they should though. I happen to know about it because we lived in
the town about 19 years ago and they were doing it then. Friends who
live in the same town now tell me they still get notices in the mail
from the town once a year.

We use a "MultiPure" brand filter ahead of our office water dispenser,
and we use the same one at our home in the next town, though the
unfiltered water at home tastes a lot better than the stuff at the office.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

Ha. Ha. If you have heavy water, you've got too much time
on your hands, or maybe your hands have been where they
weren't supposed to be.

I thought the actual numbers might be interesting. But, yes,
distilled water would be best, and put that water in a
vacuum bottle to keep it the right temp! Actually for all
practical purpose the difference in density within normal
living temperatures and the difference in solutes of normal
drinking water aren't going to make much difference in the
measurement. Besides, the guy that decided 11 inches was
correct or 7 inches in an RV system, just picked a ball park
number. Stuff I've looked at that uses low pressures often
allows a 20-30 or even 50 percent difference in allowable
pressures. So even it you use water so salty you can't
drink it to set the regulator, it is unlikely it would make
any measurable difference to operation.

Wait till you get to a system where they decide the best way
to add chlorine is to add a months supply in one day. That
way you don't need to bother with adjustments for the rest
of the month.