Jim Yanik

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

On 24 Dec 2004 01:32:12 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

I have CDs that I wrote several months to a year ago,and cannot read
all the data on them.I wonder if the newer writable DVD-ROMs are any
better?

I doubt it. The density is much higher, the technology is newer, and
I've made more coasters when trying to burn DVD-R's than burning CDs.

The ones you can't read...are those, by any chance, written with some
sort of direct-cd software, and you are trying to read them on a
different system not set up for that?

No,they were written on a CD-RW drive (Smart& Friendly brand) and tried to
read on another PC's CD-ROM drive.They worked when I first wrote them.
You can see a visible difference on some of the tracks.It may be due to
using lesser priced blanks instead of premium blanks.Maybe too cheap a
write layer on the blanks degrading after several months.Maybe a bad batch
of blanks.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik