George

"nigel" wrote in message
oups.com...
2) Make up a full set of shims (inside and outside) before fitting
any flush drawer. Remember to give more room to the bottom to
overcome the optical illusion that makes it look narrow.

That one sailed by at least six feet over my head ... maybe a
vocabulary thing though ... to me a shim is a thin spacer piece to pack
out things that don't quite fit. I'm sure you must be meaning something
else !!

:-)

They're what establishes the distances from the various parts of the cabinet
when fitting the drawer or door.

As a minimum, you want shims to elevate the drawer above the bottom part of
the opening - square front to back - with shims to center the drawer in the
front, and inside the back of the opening while fitting the rails.

In other words hold things firmly and _squarely_ in place while you fit and
tack. Remove to test and, hopefully secure in place without further
adjustment. If not, remove the glue spots from the imprecise component,
shim further in the proper direction, and repeat as needed....

As noted, unless you put about 1/4 to 1/3 more gap on the bottom than top
and sides, it'll look strange.