zxcvbob

Ignoramus24153 wrote:
On 27 Dec 2004 18:38:10 GMT, Greg wrote:

They should have 8/3wg UF at the home store. The other choice would be PVC
conduit and single conductors.

Hm, I think that I need 8/4 cable:

- one hot
- another hot
- one neutral
- one ground

that is, I think that I need to have four conductors not 3.

You said earlier that the ground is frozen so you may have to wait until spring
to bury it. That makes the UF a more attractive option for now, but it should
be 24" down when you bury it. The PVC only needs to be 18" down. I suppose you
could put the UF in PVC when you bury it.
Of course if you can protect it from physical damage (like strapping it along a
wall) it doesn't have to be buried.

My generator will be like 5 meters away from the house, tops (in
reality probably even closer). I would prefer not to bury the cable.

Is this permanent wiring or temporary?

In either case, check out type SER "service entrance cable." (#8
usually has solid wires, all others are stranded)

Bob