Sam

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Kat" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:38:58 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip
It might be cheaper to get a big old Volvo estate.

It might, indeed. Thanks. Especially one with a tow bar... But why a
Volvo, in particular?

They are just about the largest (load wise) estate car available outside
the
USA, that's why !

But be warned, they are looooong....
--
Reply to group please.

Our 740 - sadly now laid up in the workshop with a knackered transmission -
would take a hell of a lot but not an 8X4 sheet, well not flat anyway. The
bed is about 6 feet long with the seats down but only about 43 inches across
between the wheel arches. Maybe you could get some in at an angle but I
recall there was some sort of problem with that so we always borrowed a car
and trailer or had the sheets cut to fit. The height of the load area is
disappointing in my opinion. The 940 has the same dimensions I believe.

An estate that has a bigger load area is the Citroen XM or I presume the
newer C5, but after having an older XM and from what I've heard about the
reliability of the C5 I'm not sure I'd recommend them.

As to the length of the Volvo I never found it a problem at all. I think the
reason it's not a problem is the really good turning circle, you can get in
and out of tight parking spaces with ease. A lot easier I found than with
our much smaller Saab 900. Best thing about the Volvo was the way traffic in
your path seemed to part in terror upon seeing you approach - even BMW
drivers :-)

Sam