Errol Groff

Other folks in our building tend to treat the machine shop as the
local hardware store. Generally if we have plenty of something we are
happy to help out but there has to be a limit.

Recently when the plumbers came to borrow a 1/16 drill I looked up the
catalog number in the MSC big book and sent a note back that we didn't
have any drills to spare but they could buy some out of their budget
from MSC and supplied all the details.

The plumbing instructor then complained that the good quality drills
from MSC were more explensive than the hardware store drill he had
bought before. Of course they didn't stand up to the use but that
seemed to escape his notice.

For those who may not know MSC is a very large industrial supplier
here in the US (and Canada?). Excellent service and they have just
about everything. www.msc.direct.com

Happy New Year to all!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Dantieson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On 27 Dec 2004 07:04:33 GMT, (GTO69RA4) wrote:

I'm sure a lot of people know what I'm talking about. Getting known among
friends as the guy with weird hobbies and tools. A good buddy pulls up today
with his snowblower, says it broke and he remembers I had a welder. So being in
a not-completely-antisocial mood I help him out. Just as I'm about to start it
starts snowing hail the size of peas, then blowing sideways. Everything gets
covered with the white stuff, and after having trouble starting I finally get
it done. Then he happens to mention that his blower wasn't actually running,
and he heard I knew engines...

Well, at least I can feel my fingers after a few hours and he's back to making
money with driveways. Maybe I'll end up with that Stanley No. 7 he's been not
using for 6 months.

GTO(John)