Terry

"orangetrader" wrote in message
I have a pair of aluminum glass doors in my patio.
.................. snipped ..........
So I think I need to replace the rollers. But I cannot figure out a way

remove them. There is no visible screws or bolts from the outside.

We had to cope with a similar repair.
Our six foot wide is an assembly of four door units (the two outer sliders
are interchangeable with the two inner). Each sliding unit is quite heavy.
Keep track etc. clear of debris (leaves, twigs, dead bugs, bird seed from
outside bird feeders, snow, ice etc) in all seasons; a thin bladed knife and
a shop vacuum are best.
Several times over 34 years necessary to do maintenance of the rollers (ball
bearing wheels about one inch in diameter). Finally several bearings
corroded. At least one of the doors 'dropped' and began scraping and
damaging the track.
It was necessary to partially and carefully disassemble the each door from
around the glass; remove the bottom section and tap out and rebuild the
eight roller assemblies. Not having identical roller wheels available some
modification involving fairly straightforward metal work was involved.
Scrapes and gouges in the track were sanded out.
Have since seen some repair 'kits' which comprise new wheels at a local
building supplies outlet, at a cost IIRC of around 12 to 14 dollars per kit?
I think that if suitable I would need eight kits for our application (So
parts cost about $100 to $120? Plus self labour). Presumably four kits would
be needed for a two door unit?
The height adjustment is a sort of sloping wedge/slot in the roller bearing
wheel assembly. It's operated by a screw located in the edge of each door
unit and is somewhat pretty tricky to repair and readjust after
reinstallation. The height adjustment is important in order to get the doors
to line up correctly with the door box and where each pair of doors meshes
together when closed.
If tools and spare materials and/or a suitable workshop not available it may
be necessary to contact a window/door or suitable 'glass shop'; suggest that
a small family type business are more likely to have the time,
know-how/experience and tools rather than a 'big' outfit which basically
sells only one or two brands of doors/windows.?