wallster

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
I'm sure a lot of people know what I'm talking about. Getting known among
friends as the guy with weird hobbies and tools. A good buddy pulls up
today
with his snowblower, says it broke and he remembers I had a welder. So
being in
a not-completely-antisocial mood I help him out. Just as I'm about to
start it
starts snowing hail the size of peas, then blowing sideways. Everything
gets
covered with the white stuff, and after having trouble starting I finally
get
it done. Then he happens to mention that his blower wasn't actually
running,
and he heard I knew engines...

Well, at least I can feel my fingers after a few hours and he's back to
making
money with driveways. Maybe I'll end up with that Stanley No. 7 he's been
not
using for 6 months.

GTO(John)

I can relate. Last summer, a friend of the family needed his utility trailer
lengthened. I explained how it could be done and the price of the steel, he
gave me the money for the materials and i bought them. After about four
hours of measuring, cutting, and welding, it was done. The only thing left
for him to do, was to cut the wood floor boards (using the template that i
provided)
Upon delivery, he gave me a firm handshake and a thank-you. That was it.
Apparently, my labor was free. I would have been happy if the guy offered
anything. A case of beer, a twenty spot, anything. Maybe we're all better
people for helping, but i wouldn't let anybody do me a favor without even
offering a couple of bucks.
Now, i'm usually "too busy" to help certain people.

walt