Terry

wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:45:21 -0500, "Robert MacKinnon"
wrote:

Sorry, Tom, what is BIN? This is a product i've not heard of before.

Here's the product page: http://www.chopurl.com?449

hth,

tom @ www.BookmarkAdmin.com

wrote in message
.. .
So, this is what I actually did. I bought cans of BIN and painted my
ceilings. Now the rock can't absorb mosture, and I have a vapor
barrer.

That agrees with what I read somewhere, many years ago; that certain types
of paint, presumably what are called "Oil paint", can act as something of a
vapour barrier. I recall that did not include latex/water soluble/based
paints?

In a cool damp climate a vapour barrier IS required in all walls and
ceilings; to minimize warmed (and therefore moisture bearing) house air
percolating into the roof space and condensing up there. However without a
vapour barrier I guess the important point is to make sure that the attic
airspace is very thoroughly ventilated?

Roof space venting, in this jurisdiction, for example, is a minimum of three
(3) square feet per one thousand (1000) sq. ft. of ceiling area and that it
" ... be distributed around the perimeter to ensure cross ventilation and
removal of damp air".

To this house we added, under a government sponsored residential energy
conservation scheme, some 25 years ago, an additional several inches of
blown in insulation, on top of the original six inch glass wool batts;
making sure it did block the additional soffit ventilation vents. Then later
we covered up some of the 1970s style ceiling tile ceilings from below with
plasterboard adding one inch of styrofoam on the warm side of the
insulation. (There are guidelines for putting additional insulation 'inside'
a vapour barrier, in this climate).

With attention to ventilation winter and summer (30+ years) we appear to not
have mildew or other problems in our very low slope roof space. Adding that
this fairly windy climate helps; so, while I've considered and even have a
suitable fan on hand it has not been necessary to use power ventilation of
the roof space.

Terry.