jo4hn

BKeane71 wrote:

Hi, everybody.

I have recently made my nephew some blocks out of some spare planks I had
around the house, which are redwood (hey, they were free). What I would like
to know is, does anyone know of any poison precautions or sensitivities people
may have regarding this wood? He is 2 years old, and I'm sure will be putting
them in his mouth.

Thanks,

-Barry

I work with redwood a fair amount as does my neighbor (a builder of
decks among other things) and neither of us has had any ill effects. I
would suggest finishing with perhaps a penetrating oil (thinned tung or
blo) and several coats of a varnish (e.g.poly). Those splinters can be
buggers. They tend to break off when you try to get them out and it
takes forever for the body to rid itself of them. I have built a few
toys and finished them with blo/poly with no problems from the little
ones. YMMV of course.
mahalo,
jo4hn