Larry Jaques

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:00:59 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" answers:

Yes, a 1" belt sander is not as hard on the irons as a grinder.

I'm with Larry on this one.

A bench grinder is the quickest way in the world to destroy a cutting tool
IMHO.

When I have to remove a chip, I'll sand past it with 120 grit.
Then I take out my 600 grit diamond stone and clean it up, finishing
the polishing with Scary Sharp(tm) paper in finer grits. (1000,1500)

That's more work than I'm willing to do or have been.

What? 5 minutes and I'm done. The diamond plate cuts quickly, then I
lay a piece of ScaryPaper(tm) on it and on the table in front of it,
give it a few slides, flip it and deburr, swap papers and do it again.
I don't get anal about it but I do like 'em sharp. I bought a diamond
cone for the gouges. Anywho, Scary is much faster than stones for me.

But then again, my biggest sharpening job right now is a 10" pair of shears
(scissors) used to cut fiberglass cloth.

Do you do those with a jig or freehand?

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com