Terry Coombs

Tim Wescott wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

One of my never-ending projects is the restoration of a '39 Harley
. One of the broken parts is the transmission sprocket cover . It's
made of cast iron , and one of the bolt hole/cover standoff's is
broken out . I have machined a part out of mild steel , and ground
out the jagged edges on the cover to fit . Both pieces will be
bolted to the tranny end cover for correct alignment .
I was planning on brazing it , but am concerned that heat
distortion will be a problem . I'm also concerned about strength ,
as this cover supports the throwout bearing for the clutch . I'm
limited on arc welding eqpt to a flux core wire feed (Lincoln Weld
Pak) , but the guy at the machine shop around the corner from work
will likely weld it for cheap if I decide to go that way .

Brazing is really cool, but I would be uncomfortable doing it on a
highly-stressed part.

I brazed the lower kingpins back into my '58 Chevy 4X4 front axle , been
several years and they're still hangin' in there . This part isn't what I'd
call highly stressed , and there are 3 other bolts .

I'm no expert, but if I were left to my own
devices I'd probably make the repair part out of cast

I've never machined cast , but I think I know where there are some old
window balance weights ...

and see if I
could find somebody willing to get it hot and weld it with a
cast-iron stick -- or I'd restore that old forge I have out back and
do it myself (which may be worse than just using JB weld, given my
welding skills .

The problem with getting it hot is that the cover I'm using to align it is
also cast , and is highly machined . It also has a brass bushing
(countershaft , which mounts the kicker arm) and a (loose roller) bearing
race in it for the mainshaft . I have no idea what stresses are in the cover
, and if I warp it , I'm screwed . Parts for this tranny are rare and
expensive .
--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"